Common Office Pests and Issues That Pest Control Can Tame
Pests are a natural part of life that we have to deal with at home or outdoors, but in an office setting, if they aren’t managed, they can seriously disrupt the workday or even make your employees ill. The key to keeping your employees, clients, and other guests comfortable, is to ensure pest control protects them from nasty creatures. The following is a look at the annoying office pests of which all office managers and owners should be aware of and how your local pest control service can help solve their related issues.
Common Pests and Pest Issues Found in the Office
Pests come in a wide variety of forms, from animals to crawly insects to little mites. No matter what pests plague your workspace, we have the right solutions to keep them away. The most common office mites and pests include:
- Dust mites. This mite lives off of dead skin cells, and in the office setting, are most commonly found in carpets and other upholstery.
- Scabies. This type of mite can cause the worst itching and is transferred via person-to-person or animal-to-person contact. Scabies are incredibly contagious and while they are more commonly spread in shared living quarters, there can quickly be an office outbreak in the right conditions (such as where there is shared breakrooms with upholstered furniture).
- Mice. Mice, rats, and rodents love food crumbs and chewing on cables, two things that are prominent in an office setting. Preventing these little critters from getting in could save your office snack stash and ensure that your computer suddenly doesn’t shut down from one of their nibbles.
- Spiders. Spiders give many people the creepy crawlies, and not all of them are dangerous. However, if you spot spiders, you do want to call pest control, as there are spiders that could harm your employees that are commonly found in the desert, such as Black Widows.
- Scorpions. A desert native pest, scorpions are poisonous to humans and can be very dangerous to have as pest infestation ‘visitors’ in your office. Not only could they potentially seriously hospitalize an employee, you don’t want to find your company victim of a lawsuit for failing to control these guys when someone gets injured.
- Flies. Flies like to congregate around food and there are many opportunities for them to swarm around your kitchen and trash can. To ensure that these pesky guys don’t disrupt your workday, make sure that the office trash is taken out daily.
- Ants. Ants love food, and if you’ve been eating at your desk or in the kitchen, ants can smell it from far away. Once one ant finds the food, they all start coming in, so it’s important to nip this pest in the bud before you have an ant infestation.
- Cockroaches. Cockroaches are known to congregate around food sources, so don’t leave food out on the counter if you don’t want to involuntarily give your lunch leftovers to them. Cockroaches like hiding in dark places, so they are likely to be found in kitchen cabinets, behind refrigerators, or in your secret (but not anymore) dark cabinet desk food stash.
Keep Office Pests Away With Pest Control
Keeping pests away is a mixture of preventative measures and reactionary ones. Good office cleanliness measures like regular vacuuming and shampooing of upholstered items can help prevent them. If your office has a pest problem, our pest control team is well-versed in the best extermination techniques. Contact us today to learn more.